"Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored." --Titus 2:3-5

Monday, July 25, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Extract!

I just finished starting my own homemade vanilla extract! My first "first" this week! I used the recipe from www.heavenlyhomemakers.com, and I can't wait to see if it works. I sure hope it does; it's a little costly. I received my Bourbon Madagascar vanilla beans yesterday from Olive Nation ($25 for 1/2 pound) to make 1/2 gallon of vanilla extract. I only had 1 quart mason jars, so I am using 2 and splitting my ingredients between them. I cut 20 vanilla beans in half for each jar and poured vodka to fill the jars. I sealed them and put them in the back of my pantry to sit until December. It's that easy! Laura (from the blog site above) says to let the jars sit for 4-6 months to get a good extract. All you need to do is shake the jars every couple of weeks or so. I still have vanilla beans left, but I read that they will last a year or more in a cool, dry place. If my extract turns out okay, all I need is more vodka to make another batch! Hopefully, it will make nice Christmas presents for family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment