"Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored." --Titus 2:3-5

Thursday, July 14, 2011

What a Day!

Wow! I just noticed that it has been over a year since I posted on my blog! How time flies!! Well, it has been an interesting day for us here. There have been a few lessons learned. The first is my attempt at saving the planet by trying to use cloth training pants for Erin who just recently turned 2. I'm amazed and appalled at how many disposable diapers and training pants I have used with my two children, and I've decided that enough is enough! Well, I learned today that cloth training pants (or diapers I'm sure) are not for the faint of heart (or stomach)! I tried putting Erin in these earth saving devices 3 times today, which gave me 2 completely soaked pants and one absolutely disgusting explosion of a mess in the third! Not only did she not inform me that she had soiled herself, but she didn't want me to change her either. I don't know if she was embarrassed by being so yucky or if she enjoyed it...I hope the former. Needless to say, I gave up after the third event and put her back in Pull-Ups. I know I shouldn't be such a pansy, and I will try again tomorrow. Mothers for centuries have been dealing with the bodily functions of their children without the modern convenience of disposable diapers, and I just need to suck it up!

I have been on a "whole foods", "getting back to nature" (whatever you want to call it) kick lately, and I tried cooking with coconut oil today. I have tried this a few years ago, and it didn't go so well. I bought unrefined coconut oil, which is much more natural than refined, but you can only use it if you don't mind everything tasting like coconuts. The refined oil I bought a few years ago smelled and tasted like the machinery used to process it! Disgusting!! Today I used a different brand of refined oil, and thankfully, my french toast did not taste like coconuts or machinery. I secretly added some to my red beans and rice (don't tell my husband) and it worked out okay.

I have been reading heavenlyhomemakers.com and she is a woman after my own heart. I have jumped on her crazy train with abandon! I've been moving in this direction for years, but now I'm making bigger steps (like I've been riding horseback alongside the train, and now I'm actually on it...maybe only on the caboose, but still) I've been really convicted about a lot of things regarding the food we eat and being good stewards of the earth that God has given us. More about that another time. The past two weeks has been about granola bars. I like a good granola bar, but I do not like seeing all the ingredients in store bought bars. I made the chewy granola bar recipe from heavenlyhomemakers.com, but I didn't have enough seeds and nuts to give the bars structure. They tasted good but they're a little gooey. Today I tried Alton Brown's recipe and they have a little too much structure! Bricks! Again, the taste isn't terrible, but I don't think my kids are going to eat them. Back to the drawing board! I think I'll go back to the heavenlyhomemaker's recipe and put in some of the seeds that I purchased since the last time. We'll see what happens tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment